Christmas can be such a magical time, especially for children, who are filled with a sense of wonder and excitement about the season. Nothing can beat watching children’s faces light up at the sight of Christmas surprises and treats!
In amongst all the busyness and thrill of the festivities, we often don’t give children the chance to slow down and be curious, to ask questions and be creative. This year, why not take the time to slow down and get a little ‘hygge’*?
Here’s our top tips:
- Read a festive book together – some of our favourites are ‘’Twas the Night Before Christmas’, ‘Wonky Donkey’ and ‘Pick a Pine Tree’
- Snuggle in front of a crackling fire – this is perfect for children exploring their senses of smell, sight and sound.
- Christmas sensory play – for the youngest of children, let them explore some of the items traditionally found at Christmas, from tinsel to baubles and cinnamon sticks to dried orange.
- Bake some Christmas treats – the list is endless! Feeling brave? Then give that Gingerbread House a go together!! Children love to bake and create and will be so proud of the end results, and especially the eating part!
- Best of all… play!! Take time to play with your child this Christmas, encouraging communication, bonding and embracing that family time together.
On that note, we would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! We look forward to hearing all about the children’s festive period when they return to nursery.